You are to choose your own company (within certain guidelines) for the group
project this semester. The only requirements are that:
(1) it has to be a company listed in the S&P 600 Smallcap Index or the S&P 400
(2) I have to approve of the company when all is said and done,
(3) you have not used the company for a project in another course,
(4) all of the project must be original as I do not want to see a recycled project.
The following Excel file contains a listing of S&P 600 Smallcap and S&P 400
So what I would like to suggest is that each group looks through the S&P 600
Smallcap Index and the S&P 400 Midcap Index until you find a few companies
that you would be interested in using and then send me an e-mail consisting of that
list of companies. While you are looking them up you should look up companies
using their ticker symbols at:
While doing this you should also look at each company’s company profile, list of
competitors, and some of the other information that is available. Once you send me
the list I will then look each of them up and e-mail you back with companies that I
think will work for the project.
While you are doing this please keep in mind the following:
1) Some companies will work better than others. As examples, restaurants, retailers,
health care organizations, banks, firms in regulated industries (like a phone company)
and certain other types of organizations tend to NOT be good choices for the project.
While a manufacturing firm that competes in very limited number of industries would be.
2) I am requiring that you make corporate and business level strategy changes to
the company which for the project means that the company will enter into and
compete in a new industry (i.e., diversify) and that you will have to decide how to
accomplish the diversification move and how the company will compete in this